Friday, June 25, 2010

Motif #4 and 5, Troubles and Acquisitions

It's been a week! Wow. I meant to post sooner, I just felt like I didn't have much to say.. Lately I have been thread hunting. Between The Thread Exchange and shopping I have acquired more thread than I could use! I've received two of my exchanges and sent out all three, the one is coming from Australia so I am expecting it to take a while to get here. This is a Majestic size 80 color 850 from Miranda and Flora size 20 color 217 from Isdihara. I also bought (from ebay) an Oren Bayan size 30 (Turkish size 50) in my favorite color. It tats up quite wonderfully, I quickly whipped up this little flower. I bought at Wal Mart Coats & Clark Metallic Decorative sewing thread. It tats up smaller than a size 80, so I tatted with three strands. Learning very quickly that it was a pain to tat with alone and to pair it with other thread.


While shopping on ebay I placed a bid on two lots of vintage thread, and I won! Granted, at the time I did not realize they were size 80 thread... So, I'll be working with tiny thread on and off now. The thread smells old.. If that makes sense. I'll probably have them sit out in a room with a fan on and spray a little Febreze in the room. As you can see, there are some duplicates so I'll be posting it on the thread exchange and sharing my newly acquired stash of size 80 threads.



I've been working on tatting around rings again, this one turned out okay..  But I'm not a fan of black, and tatting with it was much harder than I had thought it would be. So I tried another ring with my new Oren Bayan thread, but disaster struck! The thread tore! I'm assuming there was too much stress put on it from the bead. But I'm not sure how else to attach those beads.


These were tatted up and just recently finished. I will count these as motif #4. The beads I bought a while back and no longer have the label for. The thread in the top (soon to be) pendant is Flower Child by LadyShuttleMaker I believe. And the lower thread is a combination of three pieces of embroidery floss. The pattern is from Kersti.

Also while in my uncreative rut made up this piece. I saw many other people doing it, so thought why not! The thread is another new purchase from hajdesigns31.


And finally my pride and joy of this post was this item I made that has inspired me. As you will see it has my two exchange threads in it, my new Oren Bayan thread and DMC embroidery floss color 471 (two strands) and one strand of my metallic thread. This is motif #5 for the 25 motif challenge. I just need to figure out a slightly more attractive chain.. 


9 comments:

  1. Wow! look at the cool stuff you have done! I just love it.
    I have a suggestion that might and might not work for the "old-smelling" thread.....maybe if you put them spaced apart in a container that closes up and then put in some Arm & Hammer Baking soda in a small open container then it might possibly freshen up those after awhile. Just a thought. :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the idea. That actually crossed my mind as we always have a thing of baking soda in our freezer. But alas, I have a very rotten cat that would find a way to mess it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice tatting!

    You might find that the old thread breaks easily. It might not, but just warning you that old thread becomes brittle. Perhaps if you double or triple it, you will have no problems.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I've tatted up two small flowers so far, like I did in the light teal thread. So far no issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I'm still having trouble with the Thread Exchange blog, so I'll answer here. I'd be glad to trade threads. I like the Helms Deep and Raspberry pink Lizbeth the most. I've just posted again--do you see anything else you like?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those threads are awesome and I just love your tatted motifs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Martha. I'd love to trade you for the grey Anchor and variegated green Flora/HH. My email address is crasshtesst at yahoo dot com.

    Thank you Typs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have fun with all your threads! It looks like you are having a ball. I don't tat with old threads anymore because they get brittle and break, but if you have no issues then tat away and have fun! I am so glad there are so many new threads to tat with now, too.
    ~TattingChic ♥

    ReplyDelete