Sunday, June 13, 2010

Health and Motif #3

I haven't been feeling 100% since my last post. Constant headaches and sensitivity to light and sound. This all began one evening when we had an encounter with a rather gross large spider in our window over the sink. This spider caused the spider spray to come out and all the windows to get sprayed. So 15 minutes of that putrid spray inhaled (I wasn't the one doing the spraying, but oh did it reek!) and that angered my allergies and they began a revolt!

Feeling as I did, made it very difficult to focus on tatting for too long. I did manage to get some work done. I blocked Motif #1 and now it lays flat (decided to not stiffen it), an old bookmark, and a few odd and ends. I came to the conclusion that storing my HDT's and other bits of thread and my plastic thingys in a notecard holder was not working out well. And the the notecard holder would better serve as a current project holder, as I can fit 2 ball of lizbeth thread in along with the other necessities.


I also began yesterday and blocked today Jon Yusoff's Folded Bookmark. Which I will be submitting as motif #3. Which you see here being blocked. It was quite a joy to tat, never having to go look up a technique. However, I did lose my place many times and made quite a few mistakes. But I will be tatting it again, especially in this thread! The colors are just lovely. The thread is Lizbeth size 20 Tropical Punch and I used a size #8 needle, thinking it would give a thinner look to the chains and rings. It also proved to be a pain with the picots and chains wanting to flip on me.

Oh? The bookmark next to it looks familiar? Yes yes, I quite love the pattern found here, by none other than Carolivy. In my first post I show a photo of three of these bookmarks tatted up with only one clover in the center. I like it with three clovers as the pattern calls for much better. Although, there is some scheming going on, to turn the single clover ones into hair clips of sorts! Here is an image of the purple bookmark after being blocked. This is in Lizbeth size 40 Purple Splendor and the blue one is Lizbeth size 40 Ocean Turquoise.


My final accomplishment while being under the weather? Tatting over rings of course. I thought it would be fun... This, I think will eventually be a bird of some kind.. This would not have been possible except for the well written directions here and here (both from Jon Yusoff's blog). I wonder, how in the world do you hide your ends? My stitches were so tight against the ring that it was hopeless. Oh well. That and not liking how the variegated thread turned out leaves much for me to work on.


I guess I am a more productive sickling than I thought I would be...

8 comments:

  1. Your doily and bookmarks are really lovely and I do like the variegated thread that you used on the ring!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love the thread too, it just seems a little too choppy on the ring (the color that is)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything TypsTatting has already said!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do beautiful work. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paige,
    Glad that you find the tut on the rings helpful. I don't see anything choppy with the variegated thread for the ring.

    I hide the ends in between the double stitches that are around the ring. I thread the end on a needle and sew it in, going back and forth over a few stitches, the thread at the finish is sewn over the stitches at the beginning and the other way for the other end.

    Happy Tatting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Eliz, I actually am feeling quite wonderful. Amazing what 24 hours away from your normal environment can do for a person.

    I like my colors to either blend together or at least have some sort of pattern to them. I had to add a new thread (on the left side of the ring, where it is only a small bit of bright pink). And that is the part that bothers me. Granted, I'd love if the rings were the same color as the stitches covering the ring. But that would be too many ends to hide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So how was the ring to needle tat? I've wanted to try, but haven't had time yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was difficult and very slow at first. But once I got it going it was fine.

    ReplyDelete