Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Goodies, Motif #2, and Dash #2

On Saturday I placed an order over at Handy Hands for some thread, a needle, and a crochet hook. It came today! Although needing to get back to work on another piece I am working on, it was quite the nice surprise on a dreary rainy day.

Just what did I get, you ask? Wanting to venture with slightly smaller threads, I bought two size 40 in Ocean Turquoise Light and Purple Splendor. I bought three size 20 threads as well in Spring Garden (my mom was hoarding her ball of thread in this and would not share!), Tropical Punch, and Black. I'm not a fan of black thread.. I have a cat that is quite a fan of ALL of my thread. She is just growing out of the kitten stage and her fur is already a large nuisance to deal with while tatting. But I could not resist the thought of making a butterfly in black and Yarnplayer's Garden Afternoon. I also bought a size 13/14 crochet hook (turns out, that might be too small? But it is certainly nice to stop having to use an Aero shuttle as a hook) and a size 7 needle.

As I mentioned yesterday, I am working on Mom's Pink Doily. I didn't get any further with the third round than just making sense out of it. The center ring is a lovely green medley (Christmas Green Mix?)  from Lizbeth and the second ring is Christmas Green. I plan on trying the third row in the variegated green.

My mom set me to work trying to design an interesting window ornament/dreamcatcher like item. So, with inspiration from the vintage motifs I posted yesterday, I came up with something like this... Please note, it is NOT done in any shape or form. The butterfly will be larger and more center and there will be more vines. The random thread at the top is to signify "hey, this is the top". It was a fun break from other tatting. On that note my hunt for the perfect butterfly pattern continues. I most likely will end up trying to write my own. But in the mean time, I found this. It is a relatively simple pattern, yes. But up until that point the double picots were kicking my butt! And some how, I don't know what it was, but his pattern and directions made it make sense to me!

So I present to you Motif #2 of the 25 Motif challenge. Yes, it is unfinished. This is tatted in size 20 Tropical Punch. I'm using this as #2 because figuring out a new technique that had made me stare at my computer screen and puzzle about it for quite some time has been conquered.





Dash #1:

This is a very simple recipe and it got two thumbs up from everyone in the house, Cinnamon Breakfast Muffins. The article I was reading when I cam across this link, recommended making a large batch of these muffins and freezing them. Then thawing them the night before in the refrigerator and then warming them up in the morning. I will be trying them like that come the start of the school year for me in late August. Anything is better than the same bowl of cereal every single day.

3 comments:

  1. That green doily is beautiful! You are doing so very well!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you. I've ran into a problem with it so it's been put aside for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your doily and your work looks really neat. As for your query about the Altin Basak Thread I think it is great and Tatt's up really well, and it has a nice soft silky feel to it. Also thankyou for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete